Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

New Student Orientation Questions


Do I need to make a reservation for NSO?
Yes! We have limited space availability in all of our programs and require reservations. Remember, New Student Orientation is a required program required of all new students at the U. If you are a first-year, find out more information here. If you are a transfer student, find more information here. If you are a parent or family member, find out more information here

Is there an NSO for parents and family members?
There is a concurrent parent and family program during all of our first-year programs for the Fall semester. We hope to answer parents questions and help them understand the student experience at the University. These programs help parents and family members understand the resources and opportunities available to their students. More information can be found here

I'm an international student. Where do I go for orientation? 
The International Center provides an orientation designed especially for international students. Attendance at international orientation is mandatory for all international undergraduates, transfer students, and graduate students.

Can I attend NSO if I haven't been accepted yet?    
New Student Orientation is only for students who have been accepted to the University of Utah. The Office of Admissions offers programs for students who want more information about the U. 

Do I have to attend NSO if I am a Second Bachelor or readmitted student to the U?
All first-time and new transfer students are REQUIRED to complete New Student Orientation. If you are a returning student who previously attended an orientation at the University of Utah, you are not required to attend NSO, if it have been less than 5 years. If you are returning to the U after more than 5 years, you are required to complete the UOnline NSO. You must confirm your intent to enroll and submit your enrollment deposit before registering for UOnline NSO.

How and when do I register for classes?
All first-year students will become eligible to register for classes at NSO. Transfer students who have met with an advisor prior to NSO will be able to register during their program as well. Transfer students who have not met with an academic advisor prior to orientation will be able to register after they have met with an advisor. Orientation Leaders and other staff members will assist you with registering in a University computer lab if you are eligible to register at NSO. 

How do I apply for Financial Aid?  
Applications are available on the Financial Aid and Scholarships website. 

How do I apply to live on campus? 
You can apply to live in the Residence Halls online at the Housing and Residential Education website. You can apply to live in the University Student Apartments online at the University Student Apartments website

How do I find off-campus housing?  
You can visit the University of Utah Off-Campus Housing website

How do I buy a parking pass? 
Parking permits can be purchased through Commuter Services

When do I get a UCard (student identification card)?   
During NSO you can have the picture taken for and receive your UCard. Be sure not to lose it before classes begin! 

 What do I need to meet Student Health Requirements? 
You will need to give proof of two MMR (mumps, measles and rubella) vaccinations.  Proof of Immunization forms are available at New Student Orientation. Find more information. 

 Where can I stay before or after orientation? 
Students can register for additional overnight stays before or after orientation. Find more information.The registration form is for NSO and Swoop Camp registered attendees only. 

Who is eligible to receive Virtual New Student Orientation?
Students who are serving a Religious Mission, Active Military or on Medical leave are eligible for Virtual New Student Orientation.  However, if you have extenuating circumstances beyond the stated criteria, please submit a request for Virtual New Student Orientation by emailing

How do I request Virtual New Student Orientation?
Please submit your request by emailing the Office of Orientation & Transition at  Your request should include your full name, UNID, starting semester, admit status and reason for request.  Requests are reviewed Monday through Friday between 8am and 5pm.  

What happens if I am not approved for Virtual New Student Orientation?

Virtual New Student Orientation is granted on a first-come, first- serve basis.  All students will be notified on April 15th if they have been approved for Summer Virtual New Student Orientation.  If you have not been approved, you can register for our remaining Summer New Student Orientation on Friday, May 10th.  We encourage you to check out all our New Student Orientation dates here



If you can't find answers to your questions here, check New Student Resources
email us at , or call us at (801) 581-7069.

Last Updated: 1/25/24