We are excited to have you join us on campus for a one-day Transfer New Student Orientation (NSO) where you will learn more about graduation requirements, register for classes, meet other transfer students, connect with your new campus and current students, and begin to feel at home at the University of Utah. In the meantime, explore our website, learn more about what opportunities await, and prepare to become a part of the U community!
Who attends New Student Orientation?
- ALL first-time, new students are REQUIRED to attend NSO (this applies to all first-year and transfer students). If you have recently graduated from high school, are transferring from another institution, and/or this is the first time you are attending the U, then you MUST attend NSO.
- If you are a returning student who previously attended a NSO session (meaning you started classes at the U previously and are now coming back to continue your degree), you are not required to attend NSO if it has been less than 5 years. For students returning after 5 years, you are required to attend NSO.
- If you are seeking a second undergraduate degree at the U, you are not required to attend NSO. You may, however, contact our office to receive optional resources to help you transition.
- Students who are not required to attend NSO may still elect to do so, as many things change at the U each year. Students may also contact our office to be connected with materials that help with matriculating to the U.
- For any clarification on these policies, please contact our office.
A few things to know:
- You must pay your enrollment deposit prior to registering for NSO. You can pay your enrollment deposit here.
- The fee for Transfer NSO is $30.
- Download the U of U app for the new student orientation schedule
- Attendance at a complete NSO session is required, partial attendance does not fulfill your requirement.
- Students must be registered for a specific NSO sessions. Walk-ins are NOT permitted!
- Personal guests and friends are not permitted at NSO and will be asked to meet their student at the conclusion of the day’s session.
- Please visit our travel page for information on how to get to new student orientation.
As a transfer student, you are able to make an academic advising appointment prior to attending NSO, however, First Semester Course Planning with your college department will be provided during your NSO session.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: PLEASE CONTACT INTERNATIONAL STUDENT & SCHOLAR SERVICES TO COMPLETE ORIENTATION.