Transfer Banner   TP1 TP2 TP3 TP4 TP5

orientation registration

Transfer Student Programs

 Transfer Student Programs are designed to meet the unique needs of students who are not attending their first collge.

Transfer students typically encounter different obstacles and have different needs than first-year students. Transfer Student Programs serve to connect transfer students with each other, assist transfer students in their accelerated education journey, and recognize the academic excellence of transfer students. 

Campus Life Mentor

What better way to learn about the opportunities available and tips for a great start to college than from a successful U student? Campus Life Mentors are current students who serve as a guide, supporter, and friend to groups of first semester U students. Groups attend events together and Mentors are always there for their students.

Crimson Transfer Honor Society

Crimson Transfer Honor Society (CTHS) provides academic recognition, scholarship opportunities, community service and engagement, social connections, and leadership development. Learn more about membership requirements and how to get involved.

Transfer Workshops

Transfer Workshops provide transfer students more opportunities to learn and connect with campus resources. These are designed specifically for transfer students. Workshops range from financial aid and scholarships to research opportunities.

Welcome Week

Start the year off right with events designed to teach you about the true U experience. Events during the first weeks of school to assist students in learning about opportunities, clubs, and all the U has to offer. Welcome Week is for new and continuing U students, and includes great traditions like New Student Welcome and the Transfer Reception!

Transfer Student Resources

Transfer Admissions  ♦  University of Utah Transfer Center  ♦  University of Utah Major Academic Advisor Listing  ♦ Transfer Scholarships


Before registering for classes all transfer students must:

  • Attend Orientation: All transfer students entering the University of Utah will attend a Transfer Orientation program. To sign up for an orientation visit the Orientation homepage, select the semester you were admitted for, and register for a corresponding date.
  • Speak with an Academic Advisor: Transfer students must meet with an academic advisor after being admitted to the University of Utah prior to registering for classes.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment with an academic advisor?

There are two types of advising at the University of Utah.

  • Departmental Advising: If you know which major you are planning to pursue, schedule an appointment with a major or departmental advisor.View a list of departmental advisors contact information or visit the departmental website to make an online appointment. Your departmental advisor will help you understand the requirements that are specific to your major.
  • General Advising: If you are unsure of your major, or undecided, you will meet with an advisor in the Transfer Office at the Academic Advising Center. Call 801-581-8146 for an appointment. A Academic Advising Center advisor will answer questions concerning General Education and Bachelor’s Degree requirements, as well as assist you in finding an academic major.

Who do I talk to about which requirements are fulfilled by the courses I have transferred to the University of Utah?

  • First, run a DARS (Degree Audit Report System). A DARS report is a document that students access electronically, that tracks your progress toward graduation, lists university graduation requirements and what coursework you have completed up to the current time, including courses you have transferred to the U. To generate a DARS report, log in to the Campus Information System. The report also lists major requirements; however, work closely with your departmental advisor to determine applicability of transfer work. DARS reports are generated in the GRADUATION Tab of the Campus Information System.
  • If you think a transfer course could fulfill a University Graduation Requirement, make an appointment and bring a description and syllabus from that course to the Transfer Office at the Academic Advising Center.
  • If you think a transfer course could fulfill a major requirement, take a course description and syllabus to your departmental advisor.

How do I register for a math course?

  • Evaluation of math courses taken at your previous institution will determine your placement into math classes at the University of Utah. If you have met the prerequisites, in part or full, through transfer math classes, then you will likely need a permission code to register for a math class. You can request a permission code for a math class at
  • If you have not taken a math course previously, you will be required to take the Accuplacer math placement exam to determine which math course you should take. This exam does not take place at orientation. Students are responsible for making arrangements to take the exam by contacting the Testing Center, 801-585-1932. The fee for the math placement exam is included in your matriculation fee. Study materials and further information.

For additional transfer student resources and information visit the Transfer Office homepage. 

Last Updated: 2/10/17