Welcome First-Year Students!
We are excited to have you join us on campus for New Student Orientation (NSO) where you will meet other new students, connect with campus, meet with your academic College for first semester course planning, register for classes, and begin to feel at home at the University of Utah.
In the meantime, explore the University website, get to know your Orientation Leaders (OLs), and prepare to become a part of the U community!
To register for a NSO program, please select the button below that corresponds with the semester in which you are enrolling.
Who attends New Student Orientation?
- ALL first-time, new students are REQUIRED to attend NSO (this applies to all first-year and transfer students). If you have recently graduated from high school, are transferring from another institution, and/or this is the first time you are attending the U, then you MUST attend NSO.
- If you are a returning student who previously attended a NSO session (meaning you started classes at the U previously and are now coming back to continue your degree), you are not required to attend NSO now.
- If you are seeking a second undergraduate degree at the U, you are not required to attend NSO. You may, however, contact our office to receive optional resources to help you transition.
- Students who are not required to attend NSO may still elect to do so, as many things change at the U each year! Students may also contact our office to be connected with materials that help with matriculating to the U.
- For any clarification on these policies, please contact our office.
A few things to know:
- You must pay your enrollment deposit prior to registering for NSO. You can pay your enrollment deposit here.
- Attendance at a complete NSO session is mandatory, partial attendance does not fulfill your requirement. Please note: NSO for first-year students starting in the fall semester is a two-day program with an on-campus overnight stay that takes place in June and July.
- Students must be registered for a specific NSO sessions. Walk-ins are not permitted!
- We love parents! Family members wishing to attend a program with their first-year student must register for the corresponding Parent & Family Orientation. Students will be able to add family members or guests on their NSO registration form.
- Personal guests and friends are not permitted at NSO (unless they have registered for Parent & Family Orientation) and will be asked to meet their student at the conclusion of the day’s session.